Thursday 23 February 2012

Quinny Zapp Xtra disaster!

The other night Henry and I were walking home along the same route that we have taken hundreds of times before. He was in his pushchair and it was still light out. We got to the car park by the pool when I went to cross the street and hit a tiny pot hole. Henry's pram completely toppled over- landing him on his cute little face and me on top of him. It was HORRIFYING. I couldn't get up for some reason. I think my bag was caught on the pram and when I finally got to my feet, I couldn't get the damn pram back to upright because it is so top heavy. UGH. My little boy was lying on the ground with his face smashed into the road and I COULDN'T GET HIM UP. He was screaming... it probably lasted all of ten seconds but it seemed like ten minutes.

I finally got the pram back to it's upright position and I saw the ground first. It was covered in blood. My heart sank and I started to panic. Then I got to Henry and saw that his entire face was streaming blood- out his nose and his mouth and all over his white jumper. I managed to get him unbuckled and threw the pram and my bag out of the road. I had NO idea what to do next. Luckily I was in front of the chemist and one of the men ran outside to help me. He told me to go across the street to the minor injuries unit. Thank goodness we were RIGHT there. I ran over with him and just stopped at the reception and started bawling. The receptionist was amazing and got us a seat and called the nurse out immediately. She checked him over to make sure that his teeth were all there and then told me I could feed him (my boob was out and ready!!) thank goodness. He latched on immediately through his swollen lip and bleeding nose. The boobs saved the day. He fed and fed and fed. I had both boobs out and didn't care who saw. I let him feed in whatever position he wanted, including standing in front of me. No one said anything but positive comments about how great it was I could comfort him and how amazing boobs are!! It turned out that he put his teeth through his lip and smashed up his face but nothing was broken and he's ok two days later!!! He ate a banana an hour later and slept through the night. Mummy didn't!!!

I just want to say that the Quinny Zapp Xtra is one of the worst prams I have used. This was not the first time that the pram almost tipped over. The wheels are TINY and have no suspension and therefore no give if you run into a pothole or a bump in the road. I have a few friends who have mentioned since this incident that they had similar times when this same thing *almost* happened. I can't get the image of my poor child lying in the middle of the road with his pram on top of him. It still makes me sick to think about it. I do not want this to happen to anyone else. I just bought a four wheeled pram with suspension. There is no way I can ever use that pram again and I don't recommend it to anyone.

                                                                Henry, that night.

      Henry today! He looks SO much better! Thanks to boob, some ibuprofen and lots of arnica gel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment