Saturday 26 February 2011

NO POO

Alrighty, I am on day two of being "poo" free. and my hair is a GREASY mess right now with the detox going on. UGH. For those of you that have no idea what I am talking about; let me explain.  I have stopped using any chemicals in the shower. (I am working on the makeup...) I have started washing my hair with baking soda and apple cider vinegar.

So far, so greasy. It apparently takes your body a while to adjust to this no poo routine. While you use shampoos, you strip your hair of its natural oils. Your scalp then overproduces oils to make up for this. When you stop using shampoo, you need a bit of time for your body to figure out what's going on and stop producing all the excess oils. Hence my pony tail and greasy mess of a head even when I have just stepped out of the shower. I can't wait until the promised time comes when I will have beautiful hair that needs to be washed once a week. Ahhhhhh I am dreaming of it right now!

I am also not using toothpaste anymore. I am making my own with coconut oil, baking soda and peppermint essential oil. It works great. I am also making a body scrub with olive oil and brown sugar. (I have been doing this one for years as I just love olive oil on my skin!) I just read about a face wash with olive oil and castor oil. You mix the two together and apply it to your face. Then you get a hot wash cloth and just steam the oils and wipe away at the end of a minute. I will let you know how I get on with this one.

It seems as I have jumped off the deep end but I just can't stand spending loads of money on those so called "natural" body products that don't even work that well. I have been spending £5.99 for shampoo for the last year. It still has some pretty nasty stuff in it. I ran out of shampoo this week so decided to take the plunge! I also love the satisfaction of using every day things to make products that work really well; I feel so self sufficient!! I plan on using these on Henry as well so that this is the norm and he doesn't have to "de-tox" at the age of 29. It makes me cringe to think about all of the chemicals I have exposed myself to over the years (hello- smoking cigarettes?!?!?! yuck!)

So- I will keep you updated on my no poo transition. If you have any questions, I have lots of links bookmarked! And if you see me- yes I have showered today ;)

2 comments:

  1. "so far, so greasy"

    HA!!!!

    I've been no-pooing for about a week and I am really liking it. My hair actually seems dryer which I am liking and not so fluffy which I like too. But, I can't seem to give up my cheap hairgel and I refuse to pay for something expensive. So, I am counting on the no-poo and the gel to cancel each other out.

    What are you ratios for your toothpaste?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. Apparently you will not need the hair gel if you are no poo (apparently...) My hair was a waxy mess so I am really hoping that the soap nuts do the trick. For now I am jsut washing it every three days and it's not as greasy as before.

    Um for the toothpaste, I literally just mixed them until it was a paste. I made the mistake of having the coconut oil too liquidy so when it solidified the whole mixture was too solid. I am going to make some more with just some warm coconut oil. I LOVE coconut oil. It's AWESOME. :)

    ReplyDelete