Friday 4 February 2011

What I like about England.

So I tend to rant and rave about all of the things I hate about England. I pretty much do this daily to my poor husband who listens patiently to me attack his homeland. England has his faults like any other place in the world but there are some pretty amazing things about living here that I am not ready to give up. 

1. National Health Care: I had insurance on the day I landed in this country. I have had insurance for the past two years that I haven't been working. All of my prenatal care, my attempted homebirth and my hospital birth were all covered. I didn't have to pay a thing. If anything goes seriously wrong I will receive excellent care FOR FREE. I will never go bankrupt because I can't afford my medical bills. 

2. Proximity to the Continent: I can be in France in under 2 hours of driving. That also means that I can take a short flight to anywhere in Europe. It's also relatively inexpensive to fly to Europe so I can go multiple times a year!


3. I can walk everywhere: I can walk to the doctor's office, three supermarkets, hair dresser, chemist, children's centre, train station, swimming pool,  beauty salon, tiny movie theatre, numerous cafes, restaurants and FIFTEEN pubs. 


4. Buying local is SO easy: My town has a few butchers, an artisan bakery, basic bakeries, and a gourmet food centre with local and international food as well as a market on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. 


5. History: England is so full of history. The house I used to live in was built in 1450. There are cathedrals and castles at every turn. It's like a wonderland of historical treasure! :) 


6. The food here tastes better: The chocolate is AMAZING. I can't even begin to eat American chocolate. The milk doesn't have any added chemicals and it tastes so much better. The cheese is from Cheddar and it is delicious!! The bread is not loaded with sugar and tastes much better too. The butter is fresh and made with one ingredient! The produce is from up the road and fresh. The meat doesn't have any chemicals and is locally grown as well. It just tastes cleaner and fresher than in the States! 


7. The BBC: There are channels on the T.V. and on the radio that have NO adverts. Awesome. 


So there you have it- there are some things that I really like about living here!!


I apologise if this doesn't read as smoothly as usual. My mother in law decided to talk to me throughout the entire composition! :) 

Macknades 
butchers 
bakery 
Canterbury Cathedral
MY TOWN! 

4 comments:

  1. I am freaking out at the ability to buy local food with ease. I have to drive 45 minutes to go to a store with absolutely ridiculous prices where I lug my 27 pound 6 month old around and select from *SOME* local products.

    It makes me nuts. Local nuts, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MOVE HERE. :)

    Did you look at my town's website- I am sure Joshua will love it!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true! I lived for a short time in Surrey (Richmond) and I loved all the same things you listed. Especially the chocolate, bread, and cheese! I have friends ship me chocolate, various curries, HP sauce, and Branston pickle. Weird assortment, I know. I long for some clotted cream and a fresh scone. mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Richmond!! Richmond park is so lovely!! :) I can't wait to be able to eat dairy again so I can have clotted cream. SO GOOD :)

    ReplyDelete